Ken Scudder distinguishes the 4 types of each cliche / mould as follows:
- Curve of the lower left spandrel merges with the vertical frame line.
- Either a small coloured ﬂaw below the "O" of "ONE" or the "O" is joined to the oval below. Also, often a small
- coloured ﬂaw above the "O".
- "ONE" closest to the left ornament.
- "S" of "SHILLING" has a long, thick bottom stroke.
- Frame line below lower right spandrel most often joins the outer oval.
- In the right side ornament the top of the "reversed S" is damaged.
- Both curved lines of the lower spandrels join the lower frame lines.
- The right limb of "H" and the 2nd "I" of "SHILLING" touch the oval above.
- Often a line ﬂaw in the shading above "H", as a continuation of its right limb.
- Heel of the lst "L" of "SHILLIN G" touches the oval below.
- Spot of colour on white oval, in front of and level with the eye.
- Break in the left vertical frame line at bottom corner.
- Cross bar of the "H" of "SHILLIN G" is set low.
- "E" of "ONE" has a longer lower bar.
- Most often, the heel of the lst "L" of "SHILLING" touches the oval below.
- Right side ornament most often has an extra bud at the bottom.
- Often, a small white ﬂaw from the base of the neck.
- Curved line of the lower right spandrel joins the horizontal line below at an acute angle and, possibly, by only a
- ﬁne line.
- "NG" of "SHILLING" set close.
- "O" of "ONE" large and usually joins the oval above.
- Often the outer frame is ﬂawed at the top left corner.
The most obvious of these features are shown below:
Type 1. The bottom of the O touches the white line outside the oval
Type 2. The top of the right limb of the H touches the right line around the oval. The I also touches the right line of the oval
|Type 3. The horizontal stroke on the first L of shilling is cut short and there is a second bud on the lowest right-hand scroll. Under the first L there is usually a white bump|
Type 4. The top of the O cuts the white line around the oval and the letters NG are close together. Note the Sydney, NSW datestamp